Re: ebook-reader permissions - no explanation given

Sujet : Re: ebook-reader permissions - no explanation given
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 28. May 2024, 19:35:48
R.Wieser wrote on Tue, 28 May 2024 14:21:28 +0200 :

where, without asking for permissions, the epub reader found them.

In my case I have to select "open file" from the hamburger menu and find the
file itself.  There does not seem to be a way to point it to a specific
folder (or if there is I've not found it yet).

In my Android 13 Galaxy, I had simply copied the EPUB/PDF files into a
folder on the sdcard that I had created from Windows and then I used the
aforementioned com.github.axet.bookreader Book Reader's top-right
"Hamburger -> Open File" menu's file manager to find the two epubs.

The Book Reader includes its own "file manager", I think.
Once a book was found, it shows up in the white space of the Book Reader.
From then on, it can be clicked without using the Book Reader file picker.

The Book Reader has the option to set a "Sync Folder" but I never set it.

It was odd that no permissions were ever requested, but that's why I would
like others to test it out as maybe it's just the way my Android is set
up.

I did not see any permission dialog either, but the images and sounds where
automatically disabled.  Sensors where enabled though.  In the end I
disabled everything (just to see what would happen).

The EPUB/PDF books that I had tested didn't have sounds, but certainly
those books contained images, which showed up in the Book Reader just fine.

If you have a pointer to a link where I can download an EPUB/PDF with
sounds, I can test that out for you. But you need to provide the link.

The most strange (to me) thing is that no *file* permissions where asked,
and although I enabled something called a "storage scope" for the app and
pointed it to a specific folder and files in it, the reader has zero
problems with opening text and html files from other folders.  Quite
unexpected.

I'm gonna agree that I don't understand three things about file
permissions, one of which was the com.github.axet.bookreader Book Reader
didn't ask for any.

The second was that the Muntashirakon App Manager showed that there were 7
"Uses permissions" displayed in red, as if they've been denied somehow?
 <https://i.postimg.cc/nrRnT8wh/permission.jpg>

 POST_NOTIFICATIONS
 READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
 READ_MEDIA_AUDIO
 READ_MEDIA_IMAGES
 READ_MEDIA_VIDEO
 READ_PHONE_STATE
 WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

And the third was that Muntashirakon App Manager showed that the
com.github.axet.bookreader Book Reader's "Permissions" tab showed
"No permissions required" even though the Book Reader was clearly reading
epub/pdf files off of the file system.

If someone else can check that, we can confirm my results are normal.