Re: How do you prevent an app from updating itself?

Sujet : Re: How do you prevent an app from updating itself?
De : danmin (at) *nospam* danminart-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Danart)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 29. May 2024, 21:17:02

 > Mickey D wrote:
 >
 > If I re-install the old version, how do I prevent it from
updating?

Sigh.......... your going to have to do a ADB push ( use ADB ) from
your computer via commands.

1) you need to gain access to your host folder.
2) update the host lists. This can stop advertisements from updating
in applications but could also keep it on the same ad.
3) In the many years Android ( google ) have locked out ADB ( since
Android 4 ) and recently since 12 have created a scenario where
applications ignore ADB all together.

or

If you have an older application from whichever version of android.
You literally would
1) block the application from checking for updates. Even if you turn
off updates. By that could be done with the HOSTS, but you need to
know what server it calls to do the update.
2) recompile the app itself via the pkg. Meaning you have the android
package and as with OSX you are able to explore it like a folder.
A. During this exploring you remove the part where it looks for
updates.
3) if the update is only looking for version number, then you just
change that and because it matches it will not update.

Just to repeat

A. Block the update server. HOST files via ADB commands can do this.
Simpliest method but you would need to know
the actual server IP address it talks to when it does the update. If
it is a google server it might block the entire phone from Googleplay
services. ROTFLOL you might as well degoogle your entire phone if that
is the case.
B. Remove any information regarding updating by going through the pkg
to that specific entry. E.T. no phone-home
C. Change the version number ( or any entry ) so when it does a clap
back with mother base it will claim it is updated.
D. Run your program in a sandbox closes off all connections. I do not
think there is an app outside of the workmode.?????
I forget.
E. Run a server that mimics home-base. Meaning this would run before
you run that specific instance and log in the IP addresses ( server )
it talks to. I do not see any application that will startup when the
target app starts up in an effort to
block any talking. This method is similar to HOST files but requires
an application with ability to block any "communications" to
the update server.

Just to be clear you can use earlier versions of a program but some of
them have bombs. These bombs might put up a wall that opens the app
but it is in full use. Some apps just have the wall and you could
click it off. This is used to get you to update.

Some applications have court-orders against them and while legal they
just update to bypass the court-order. I did nothing wrong but google
still wants me to "update" the application.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=666100245#666100245