Re: Why don't apps update without my telling them to?

Sujet : Re: Why don't apps update without my telling them to?
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 07. Jun 2024, 06:37:42
micky wrote on Thu, 06 Jun 2024 22:04:42 -0400 :

AFaIK, I never interfere with apps updating. Whenever a screen shows up
for some reaos, I update everything, even apps I don't use.

I've done nothing to stop any app from updating.

Yet friequently it's necessary for me to go to the ap; App to find an
app, because looking for the icon often seems not to work. I just can't
find it.  And often when I'm threre, it tells me there an update
available.  Why?

Am I just gettting there in the short window between when the update is
available and when Android tries to do it without my asking, or is there
a  set of apps that wait for me to use them, or at least notice them,
before wanting to update,

Today it was Alexa.  Sorry, I don't remember the others.

Hi micky,

I was waiting all day for someone to help you, but nobody did, so here
goes my two cents, although everything depends on how you set up Android.

I have no idea how your phone is set up but there are many utilities that
will list all the apps on your phone & whether an update is available.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/4djB69pr/updateallapps02.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>
 <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

We covered this many times in the past, so just be aware (if you forgot)
that the Google Play Store does not seem to check for updates for all apps.
Don't ask me why. My experience is that it misses a *lot* of apps.
 C:\> adb shell pm list packages -f

Anyway, there are decent utilities that purport to update all your apps.

The one I used to recommend as the best was this, but it's no longer
on the Google Play Store so, while you can get it, let's try another one.
 <market://details?id=pratham.bkm.appupdatechecker>

This one is also on my system which will find updates on a variety of sites
such asGitHub, GitLab, ApkMirror, F-Droid Main, F-Droid Izzy, Atoide and
APKPure. It updates all apps and has a nice copy command to create a file.
 <https://github.com/rumboalla/apkupdater>

Like the app updater above, Obtainium also updates open source apps APKs.
 <https://github.com/ImranR98/Obtainium>

However, what you probably want, since it works for all apps that you
installed via the Google Play Store and for your system apps, is something
like this app updater, which I have the older version for sans ads.
 <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.update.software.updateallapps>

Here is the description on the Google Play Store.

Version 2.24.063
Updated on May 25, 2024
Requires Android 5.0 and up
Downloads 1,000,000+ downloads
Content rating PEGI 3 Learn more
Permissions View details
Released on Feb 5, 2022
Offered by Google Commerce Ltd

App updater is a tool for android apps and games that check recent updates.
Update Software Latest will help you automatically check for pending
updates to all your downloaded apps, games and system apps at regular
intervals. Update all apps checker software will keep checking the updated
new versions for all your installed apps and will notify you if there is an
app with an available update. Phone Update Apps with new Update Software
Checker to keep your cellphone up-to-date. Upgrade your software for all
apps and stay updated with new versions available. This update apps all
checks the latest updates and keeps your apps updated.

Features

1. You can check installed apps and games detail and new updated version.
2. Check system apps updates with app requested permissions detail.
3. Update your phone software
4. Uninstall user and system apps no root required
5. Check your device info with android id, device name, model, hardware and
manufacturer.
6. Check phone operating system, version name API level, build id and
device build time.
7. Check app and game detail package name, APK path, APK size, min SDK,
target SDK and permissions.

Update all apps and games Software and System Updater App contains a very
smooth and user-friendly layout to follow. You don't have to suffer from
multiple selections and complicated structures just follow the simple steps
to let your work done. Phone update software is a very easy-to-use app. Now
Update Apps or Update System Pre-Installed Software and Uninstall App in
just a few seconds via this app.

App update all and game update checker for you that upgrades your android
apps and OS software. Updated software checks for latest or recent updates
available for your smart phone and sends you an alert notification. With
one tap, this software updates all the apps for latest android phones.
Service update and new version software installation. App update list and
All Apps Update Checker is a digital upgraded versions detector tool

How To Use
you just need to open the application and click on the app you want to
update from the app list. Update all apps list is divided into downloaded
applications, system applications & pending updates .To get the best
performance from your Android phone, and you should make sure you're
running the latest software.

Note that the latest version is 2.24.063, which says it has ads.
My version is Version 2.24.056 (56), which doesn't show any ads,
but that may be because of the way I have my Android settings.