Re: State Farm files patent for system to suppress calls and text while driving

Sujet : Re: State Farm files patent for system to suppress calls and text while driving
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 21:55:00
bad sector wrote on Sun, 9 Jun 2024 15:41:02 -0400 :

We covered this long ago in gory detail, so I'm not even going to look it
up as people who believe in myths will always believe in myths, sans facts.

You are fixating on accident rates which are meaningless;

Like I said, people believe in the myth that an accident that didn't happen
can still cause injuries and fatalities... because of a cell phone somehow.

as only one
example hydroplaning 500 feet or more before impact is never cited
either, what is often the blanket attribution is 'loss of control',
period.

I'm extremely well educated in the science & engineering fields and
therefore I am well aware that certain things can be buried in the
aggregate statistics.

However...

If cellphone use while driving is as bad as people say it is, why can they
never find any reliable statistics that back up that myth they spout
(especially when cellphones went from 0% to nearly 100% in cars in only a
handful of years).

People who are dumb believe in myths (I call it "Bro Science").
People who are smart check the facts.

Probably one out of a hundred people are smart.

 How many reports cite irresponsible tire ads as the cause when
they show cars climbimg walls and cruising on ceilings, something that's
actually possible but not with consumer cars. Of the reports I have seen
maximum about 5% were worth reading.

Most "tire ads" are bullshit. They play on emotion. And fear.

As everyone knows here, I buy my tires online and I have them shipped to my
home where I mount and balance them myself, at home, using home tire
mounting and balancing machines, where the one thing I can do well is read
the side of a tire wall to judge how safe it is likely to be.

Just like with passenger brake pads in the USA, the way to choose a safe
passenger-vehicle tire (or a safe passenger-vehicle brake pad) is printed
right on the outside of every tire (and brake pad) sold in the USA.

If you know science & engineering, you'll have no problem making good
decisions; but if all you know is marketing bullshit - then you're doomed.