Re: programming/scripting on an Android device - suggestions ?

Sujet : Re: programming/scripting on an Android device - suggestions ?
De : address (at) *nospam* is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 13. Jun 2024, 10:24:24
Dave,

PY4A - Python for Android - ran on SL4A. But I suspect you need
an old version of Android to run it.

The AndroidManifest.xml of the SL4A APK I downloaded shows a
"targetSdkVersion" of 14, which translates to below Android  v4.1.   And as
AFAIK my phone runs Android 13 ...  Yep, it goes onto the garbage heap. :-\

Any ideas about using a Raspberry Pi for it ?

<https://kivy.org/doc/stable/installation/installation-rpi.html>
The documentaion is extensive but cryptic!

I build and initially test on Linux, but you have to allow for the
different display size/resolution. A proper keyboard and screen
is the important thing.

Yikes!  I might be a hobby programmer, but asking a first-timer to configure
something without clear instructions is just asking him to fail.  Which
(having to go thru a gazillion of tries to get the whole thing to work)
isn't really my cup of tea.

Whether kivy is for you depends what you want to build.

:-)  I started off with the desire to just being able to run a script or
two.  I'm not at all sure what I want to build.  Starting with the famous
"hello world" would be a first step, activating the "buzzer" a likely
second.  But being able to do something with BLE (detecting "beacon"
broadcasts) has been in the back of my mind.    I might even want to build
something which draws stuff in a ... what do you call those apps which have
a full-screen GUI presence ?

They may call pydroid an IDE, btw, but I'm pretty sure you can run
scripts developed outside it. QPython was like that.

My consideration was more the opposite of that : if I could run scripts
(written using the IDE or not) without having to interact with the IDE every
time.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser