Re: New Android 15 Project Mainline monthly updated module: WebViewBootstrap

Sujet : Re: New Android 15 Project Mainline monthly updated module: WebViewBootstrap
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : comp.mobile.android
Date : 19. Jun 2024, 00:02:50
Andrew wrote on Tue, 18 Jun 2024 21:50:46 -0000 (UTC) :

Apparently, the plan is for this new module to launch with Android 15.

I'm not sure if this older information ever made it into Android 15...
 <https://www.androidpolice.com/project-mainline-android-14/>

Project Mainline in Android 15: What to expect
Finally, here's a sneak peek at some of the new APEX/Project Mainline
modules we may see in next year's Android 15 "Vanilla Ice Cream" release:

CrashRecovery:
I have no idea what this will do. There's an empty repository in AOSP for
it, but that's all that's public so far.
NFC: As I previously reported, Google is working on turning Android's NFC
stack into a modular system component. There's no code for this in AOSP
repositories yet, but a commit description from a Googler suggests it'll
happen.

RemoteAuth(entication):
It's not entirely clear what RemoteAuth is for, but based on my initial
reading of the code that's public, it seems like it'll let you use a
UWB-enabled smartwatch as a "remote authenticator." Perhaps this will let
you use your smartwatch to unlock apps on your phone in the future.

ThreadNetwork (part of Connectivity):
Google is actively working on a Thread network stack for Android that's
decoupled from Google Play Services. Thread, if you aren't aware, is a
wireless protocol designed for Matter-enabled devices.

UWB vendor HAL will become updatable:
Android 13 introduced an (optional) UWB Mainline module, though only the
system-side HAL was updatable. In Android 15, however, the vendor-side HAL
will become updatable.

That's my high-level summary of what to expect in Android 15.