Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

Sujet : Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse
De : adam (at) *nospam* no_thanks.com (Adam)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.mobile.ipad comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 11. Mar 2024, 19:08:59
On 03/10/2024 06:15 PM, Sten deJoode wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0700, Adam wrote:

The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png

But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad.  Sorry, I'm an iPad
newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
citizen.  On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language.  :-)

Linux is in the real world. No Apple device works in the real world.
In fact, Apple _hates_ their devices working in the real world.

Linux isn't supported.
It doesn't exist (to Apple).

Which is to say that Apple devices are designed ONLY for the walled garden.

When you're logged into Apple servers every moment of your life.
Apple devices, as a result, are nothing more than dumb terminals.

However, you can certainly do whatever you want to do.
If you're clever.
And with a little knowledge...

All of which has been posted before to this ng so it's in the archives.
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

Check these out first, and if you have questions, ask me.

Bear in mind you can always use ShareDrop (which isn't described below
as ShareDrop came after all those tutorials were written).
  <https://www.sharedrop.io/>

I've done it all, but I haven't bothered in years as my newest iPad is only
used for Google Voice nowadays - as iOS doesn't do anything Android doesn't
already do (but iOS runs GV BETTER than Android does - so it's useful).

How to copy files both ways anywhere you want to/from iPhone/iPad over USB between Windows & iOS using Linux
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/qmkDxzo4bN0/>

Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back & forth over USB at 2GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices (no proprietary software needed)
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/CsU9N7FfJHk/>

How to transfer iPad photos/videos to/from Linux/Windows over Wi-Fi LAN
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/YtpKpDhWm_s/>

How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/g-js5R9lrdE/>

How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/IFC52JXBQ1c/>

And to show how crappy Apple developers are, even Windows is a bitch
(it seems Apple hires only high school kids to do all their coding).

How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5hE4byjF930/>

Has anyone here already run a Linux iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5kbR0vzF9xE/>

Why doesn't Apple just let you manage your iOS file system natively on the PC?
  <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/WjeGznahZwc/>

The only place anything works with Apple is inside the walled garden.

Thanks, before posting here, I searched and found the following...
How can I access afc:// iOS files from the Ubuntu terminal?
https://superuser.com/questions/1548122/how-can-i-access-afc-ios-files-from-the-ubuntu-terminal
mint@mint:~$ idevicepair pair
SUCCESS: Paired with device 12372579df8d3ba74b44b47daaabea5f7775a86b
mint@mint:~$ usbmuxd -f -v
[01:13:47.747][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
[01:13:47.747][0] Could not open lockfile        // will "sudo" fix this
mint@mint:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/iPad
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/iPad’: File exists
mint@mint:~$ sudo su                             // "sudo ifuse" ?!?!?
root@mint:/home/mint# ifuse /mnt/iPad
There was an error accessing the mount point: Input/output error
root@mint:/home/mint# exit
exit
mint@mint:~$ sudo usbmuxd -f -v
[04:19:45.978][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
[04:19:45.978][1] Another instance is already running (pid 3671). exiting.
mint@mint:~$
Not sure about usage of "sudo su".  How about using "sudo" with "usbmuxd" and "ifuse" ?