Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

Sujet : Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels
De : usenet.tweed (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Tweed)
Groupes : uk.telecom.mobile misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.mobile.ipad
Date : 12. Apr 2024, 09:54:51
Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.

A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV.  With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.

What are people's real world experiences, please?

iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty. The problem with all
these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the same subnet
as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the device and
frequently firewall devices from each other. The other difficulty is you
need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the ability to switch
signal source. This may not always be possible.

A Firestick and an Apple TV can operate independently, but you’ve still got
the issues of logging it in to the hotel network. I find many of these
hotel captive portals to be barely functional at the best of times.

Perhaps an hdmi adapter dongle for the iPad and a physical hdmi cable is
the most likely thing to work?