Re: This FOSS Thang :-)

Sujet : Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 23. Mar 2024, 23:03:57
On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:03:02 -0400, -hh wrote:

Same here:  for Windows, everything was turnkey by IT, including the
installation of all relevant Apps.  All I had to do was to log in and
walk through a couple of settings in MS-Outlook to link into the host
computer.  OTOH, if it wasn't a Windows box, it was 100% DIY, but also
came with instructions of various command line modifications that IT
security required...a royal PITA.

There was a very brief attempt by IT to not make the users Administrators.
That lasted a couple of days until they realized that meant the
programmers would stop programming or submit a constant stream of help
desk requests to install what we needed.

Then there was the attempt to blacklist sports and porn sites. I don't
know if it's still around but experts-exchange was the predecessor to
Stack Overflow.  expertS-EXchange triggered blacklist. That didn't last
long either.