Re: X is Alive!

Sujet : Re: X is Alive!
De : candycanearter07 (at) *nospam* candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 11. Mar 2024, 19:20:02
vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote at 19:26 this Sunday (GMT):
On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:10:02 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
<candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote in
<usl0ia$348lm$1@dont-email.me>:

Diego Garcia <dg@chaos.rocks> wrote at 19:22 this Saturday (GMT):
All the fucking worthless doomsayers in the on-line press have a habit
of claiming that X Window is dead.

But my Gentoo emerge for this week saw  that following X updates:

libXdmcp
libxcb
xlsfonts
xrefresh
libXcursor
xev
xauth
xpr
libXaw3d
x11-apps/editres
xfontsel
xmessage

Whoa!  That's a lot of fucking updates!

X Window is very much alive and kicking.

I will soon be exploring Wayland but X Window will be my main GUI
for a LONG time.

I prefer X too.

Same here, though the games I run use DXVK to talk to the Vulkan
API on NVidia's Linux driver.  (I think X is only minimally-involved
there.)

BTW:  It's not "X Window" it's "the X Window System", or just "X".

Sometimes, people call it "X Windows", but I've never
seen "X Window" unless discussing an actual window on X.

Thanks for the clarification!