Re: X is Alive!

Sujet : Re: X is Alive!
De : candycanearter07 (at) *nospam* candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 12. Mar 2024, 03:01:54
Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote at 23:06 this Monday (GMT):
Joel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
On 3/11/2024 2:16 PM, shitv wrote:

-- "In practice, though, Linux users are just as controlled by the
distro makers and FOSS app developers as commercial users are by
Microsoft and closed-source app developers." - DumFSck, lying shamelessly

No doubt about that whatsoever.

For instance, you've not once hacked the source to make any significant
feature or GUI changes to your Linux apps or desktops.

In theory, you could tinker with the code and screens to your heart's
content (since you have the source).

In practice, you don't have the skill.  Very very very few do.

Got it, bozo?

Say Boze, you don't seem to realize that skilled people make those changes
*on* *behalf* of the users. And they are not inhibited by commercial
considerations, but by what works weil, improves the code, and satisfies their
wants and almost always the wants of their "customers".

And, the devs are also an average user not bound to needing to make
money off of it.

I don't care about commercial vs. FOSS when it comes to the
philosophy, like would I run X, Y and Z, I'll run anything I want to
run.  But there is something great about open source that you're
missing by making such a direct comparison to Winblows software, which
is that you have more choice in how it's specifically implemented for
you.  Your Linux distro or any number of people can make it that way.
I'm pretty satisfied with Mint, I'm easy to please, but someone who
wants customization could really do things that are less accessible
with Winblows.

Or ask a developer to do it for them.

Perfect? No. Even OSS developers can be assholes.

or they could be ubuntu