Re: iconv "versions"

Sujet : Re: iconv "versions"
De : sc (at) *nospam* fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 17. Mar 2024, 23:53:30
Le 17-03-2024, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> a écrit :
On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:45:04 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:

Spoken like a true Microslop MBA.

Nope. Microsoft isn't ready for Unicode yet. So he can't speak for
Microsoft here. Linux is. You aren't but I'm not surprised because
you'll never understand its purpose. Once again, you are advocating for
Microsoft when you pretend to defend Linux.

Some friendly advice, kiddo: it’s a Unicode, Unicode, Unicode, Unicode
world.

He's a limited American (it's not a pleonasm: I mean all Americans are
not as limited as he is). I strongly believe he understand only English.
He already showed he's unable to copy/past an accent, I can't imagine he
could write anything which would require non English characters. So, he
can't understand why Unicode is the only encoding which should stay.

From what I see at work, in a, not that old, Windows VM, it's still not
utf-8 by default. And it's just impossible to display CVS files
correctly encoded in Excel. Because in Excel you can't choose your
encoding, you have to use the Windows one and the displayed is just
garbage.

Today, there is no excuse to use anything else than utf-8 by default.
Unicode is the only way to write easily with more than one language in
the same document. Microsoft is really late on this part. The old
encodings had a purpose long time ago. Now, they are done and they
should stay only in museums.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io