Re: This FOSS Thang :-)

Sujet : Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 21. Mar 2024, 08:57:47
On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:46:31 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

Oh, you'd better go to a Linux vendor, though -- otherwise, you'll spend
"hours and hours" to "make it work".

Right?  Anybody else have that experience?  "hours and hours"?

Days and days...  This last weekend between hiking, changing to the summer
tires on the car, putting the batteries in a couple of bikes, and feeding
the cat, I somehow managed to put Q4OS on a 17 year old Ess PC with rock
bottom resources and a 14 year old Windows laptop that had Windows 7. It
was horrible! The only thing worse was putting Fedora on the 10 year old
Dell desktop. That took at least an hour (to down load stuff while I
played with the cat).

The only special handling was the laptop. It had a Broadcom WiFi and I had
to stick in a Panda USB dongle. I probably could get the Broadcom drivers
but why bother?