Re: This FOSS Thang :-)

Sujet : Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
De : OFeem1987 (at) *nospam* teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 22. Mar 2024, 14:31:47
rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 07:15:29 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

On 21 Mar 2024 07:00:34 GMT, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote in
<l6248iFn16lU12@mid.individual.net>:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:56:52 -0400, DFS wrote:

"Theory" says Linux users update the code to make their apps and
desktops look and behave the way they want.

"Observed reality" PROVES they don't.

Speaking personally I have to agree. Unless it's something hideous like
dark mode I use whatever comes out of the box.

It took me weeks and weeks to get my spinny desktop cube running!

Spinny desktop cubes give me vertigo as do shaky windows and all the rest
of that crap. I had a friend who would spend hours messing with the
special effects. otoh I've spent hours trying to figure out how to prevent
a window from suddenly resizing itself when it gets too close to an edge.

Maybe not hours but it did take me longer than it should have to figure
out what the hell I was doing that would suddenly display all the active
apps on the desktop and drive a stake through its heart.

Several distros became dead to me when they insisted on following
Microsoft down the Aero rabbit hole. Truth is some days I'd like to go
back to a 100 column amber monitor.

I run this compositor on my Fluxbox desktop:

   /usr/bin/compton -b -cCGf --active-opacity 0.95 -m 1.0 -i 0.95 -e 0.9 \
       --no-fading-openclose --sw-opti

I kill it when I want to screenshot the whole desktop.

That reminds me, I need to write a script to kill it and to restart it.

--
Good news from afar can bring you a welcome visitor.