Re: "Kernel surfers"

Sujet : Re: "Kernel surfers"
De : vallor (at) *nospam* cultnix.org (vallor)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 27. Mar 2024, 08:14:21
On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:56:33 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<utuk6f$1rf3k$2@dont-email.me>:

On 3/25/2024 4:30 PM, vallor wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:42:43 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<utrrg3$13cl2$1@dont-email.me>:

On 3/24/2024 10:23 PM, vallor wrote:
On 24 Mar 2024 10:27:18 GMT, Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote
in <66000006$0$5287$426a74cc@news.free.fr>:

Le 23-03-2024, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> a écrit :

Because I'm curious.

I'm not sure I really understand.

I'm not incurious.

   C AND  I = F
   C AND !I = T
!C AND  I = T
!C AND !I = F

A "tetralemma of curiosity"?  What does it mean?

It was supposed to be a truth table of sorts.

Can you be:

     Curious and     Incurious?  False
     Curious and Not Incurious?  True
Not Curious and     Incurious?  True
Not Curious and Not Incurious?  False

Meanwhile, what about Linux?

ObLinux: the dict(1) command:

$ dict incurious
3 definitions found

 From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

   Incurious \In*cu"ri*ous\, a. [L. incuriosus: cf. F. incurieux.
      See {In-} not, and {Curious}.]
      Not curious or inquisitive; without care for or interest in;
      inattentive; careless; negligent; heedless.
      [1913 Webster]

            Carelessnesses and incurious deportments toward their
            children.                                --Jer. Taylor.
      [1913 Webster]

 From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

   incurious
       adj 1: showing absence of intellectual inquisitiveness or
              natural curiosity; "strangely incurious about the cause
              of the political upheaval surrounding them" [ant:
              {curious}]

 From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 [moby-thesaurus]:

   61 Moby Thesaurus words for "incurious":
      absent, absentminded, abstracted, aloof, apathetic, ataractic,
      blase, bored, careless, casual, detached, devil-may-care,
      disinterested, dispassionate, disregardant, disregardful, distant,
      distracted, distrait, distraught, easygoing, heedless, impassive,
      inadvertent, inattentive, indifferent, inexcitable, inobservant,
      insouciant, lackadaisical, listless, mindless, negligent,
      nonchalant, perfunctory, phlegmatic, pococurante, preoccupied,
      reckless, regardless, remote, stolid, thoughtless, turned-off,
      unanxious, unconcerned, undiscriminating, unheedful, unheeding,
      uninquiring, uninterested, uninvolved, unmarking, unmindful,
      unnoticing, unnoting, unobservant, unobserving, unremarking,
      unsolicitous, withdrawn

phlegmatic?  Sounds loogie-ish.

Linux is an opportunity for the curious: if you want to know why
the OS acts in a certain way, it's nice to be able to refer
to the source code of the running kernel.

(Let me know if you'd like an example.)

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think you
can find the exact place(s) in the kernel source code that's responsible
for a given behavior.

Actually, they are laid-out in a hierarchy -- and the KConfig files
provide some documentation for each of the options.

Besides the items I mentioned before, I have in mind someone
who was trying to unput characters in a terminal from another
terminal session.  Same username, but he was getting an error anyway.

Referring to the terminal driver, one could see that such activities
were disallowed from different controlling terminals -- as they should be, it's
a big security hole.  It may have worked in the past, but it
doesn't work now:

linux-6.8/drivers/tty/tty_io.c:2289

        if ((current->signal->tty != tty) && !capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN))
                return -EPERM;

This is in the tiocsti() function.

I suggest downloading the Linux sources and poking around in the
source hierarchy.  I think you'll find it sensible.

BTW, I didn't find this originally to point out the futility
of what guy was attempting, but I knew generally where it
had to be, and a few greps later (as well as a trip to
"man ioctl_tty", I found exactly where the behavior
was specified.

--
-v