Re: GNU/Linux is the Empowerment of the PC. So What Do You Do?

Sujet : Re: GNU/Linux is the Empowerment of the PC. So What Do You Do?
De : recscuba_google (at) *nospam* huntzinger.com (-hh)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 11. Apr 2024, 19:32:03
On 4/11/24 1:02 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
On 4/11/24 08:02, -hh wrote:
On 4/10/24 8:52 PM, chrisv wrote:
-hh wrote:

It might have been worth spending that much ~20 years ago, but for most
of us, mere age has reduced our hearing range capability by quite a bit,
such that Billy Joel's "cheap pair o speakers" does well enough.

I disagree.  I've lost only one octave of the audible range.  I can
still hear the other nine octaves fine.

That's already a 10% loss .. that you know of.

Where it gets tricky is that the dB loss curve is stronger at higher frequencies, plus as one ages it gets steeper.

For example, at 2kHz, going from age 20 to 40 has roughly a -10dB loss, but at 8kHz for the same age increase, its a -20dB loss.  Call this the "stronger" element part.

When going onto the next 20 year increment (from age 40 to 60), 2kHz now has an additional -10dB loss (same "strength" as before), but 8kHz jumps to -40dB (thus, much "steeper").

Similarly, for 4kHz, the total loss at age 20 is -9dB, but by age 40 its -22dB (notionally, if it was a linear loss it should have been -18dB), and age 60 is -55dB ('linear' would have been -27dB)

Recalling that the dB scale is basically LOG(3), the ramifications of expecting a -18dB loss but getting -22dB means it is a 50% reduction.

-hh
  It can be a blessing. You'll sleep better for one. And you'd ignore idiots anytime you want, giving them the impression you didn't hear them well.
Its not really a net positive, as hearing loss has been associated with greater cognitive decline.  Makes sense from a "missing out on things" perspective.

Not my experience, but a co-worker's who really had hearing problem and told me that one day.
My father had hearing aids .. his line was that "family" wasn't worth the cost of burning down a battery, but much of this was probably that this was years before rechargeable batteries, and even a $1 battery every few days wasn't insignificant in context of his annual income being below $30K/yr.
-hh