Re: Distro Lackeys Take Note

Sujet : Re: Distro Lackeys Take Note
De : bowman (at) *nospam* montana.com (rbowman)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 19. May 2024, 20:27:46
On Sun, 19 May 2024 17:15:28 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

Elsewhere he's disclosed that he runs as root.

I used to do that in the 90's, before I realized (learned) how extremely
stupid that is.

I think it was SUSE where if you ran as root the background changed to red
with black, cartoon style bombs.

I can't remember exactly when installing Linux transitioned from setting
up to root account to setting up a user account without being root. It
confused me at first.

In our super secure work environment all the AIX and Linux machines had
the same root password. That bit us a couple of times like when a
programmer tried to free up space on an AIX machine and deleted the
equivalent of /usr/bin.  The tradition was to buy donuts after publicly
screwing up.