Re: "The first Copilot+ PC has been tested and it destroys the MacBook"

Sujet : Re: "The first Copilot+ PC has been tested and it destroys the MacBook"
De : andrzej (at) *nospam* matu.ch (Andrzej Matuch)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 26. May 2024, 00:04:31
On 2024-05-25 9:48 a.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-05-25, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
On 2024-05-24 8:09 p.m., RonB wrote:
On 2024-05-24, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:

Having had a recent Mac for a while, I will be the first to admit that
the experience using their laptop is stellar, and even better if you own
other Apple hardware. It has power, battery life, excellent transitions
from iPhone to Mac and back depending on what it detects you are doing,
and so on. MacOS also doesn't bother you, is relatively stable, it's
quiet, and seems to respect your privacy a lot more than Microsoft does.
If I didn't already have so much invested in the Windows environment, I
would happily transition to the Mac.

So you've gotten rid of the Mac now? That was quick.

I kept it for less than a year, but I got rid of it because I'm not good
at having two of the same thing. I can't have two video game consoles,
two computers or two cars. Whenever I do, I wholly ignore one in favour
of the other. As I told my wife, I could never have two women in my life
either. It's just against my nature.
 Interesting (on having only one car, computer, etc.) — having one women
just seems normal to me.
It is, but we've also become a society where having a relationship with just one person is becoming abnormal. Marriages no longer seem to mean anything, and leftist women are content to never have a husband or kids. They have embraced loneliness and misery.

Its battery life was fantastic as was its resistance to battery wear. It
was fine for going from class to class to take attendance or to display
a page from the workbook or whatever. However, playing videos on it
through a hub often crashed the system (it might have been the fault of
the Anker hub, a cheap one I got for $40 or so, but I didn't care), and
that thing couldn't access my movies on Microsoft Films & TV. For me,
there were nothing but advantages to just use a Windows laptop.
 The last I heard you were happy with the Mac — though crashing (for whatever
reason) would be a pain. I haven't flipped on my Mac Mini or MacBook Air in
a couple months. I keep planning to sell the MacBook Air, but keep
procrastinating. By the time I finally get around to it, the second hand
stores probably won't even want to take it anymore. (Maybe I can hold out a
little longer and sell it as an antique.) As for the Mac Mini, I have a
second SSD in it with Linux installed — so that one will stick around for a
while.
Had I known how annoying it was going to be to sell on Ebay, and how much I would have to sacrifice of the price in fees, I might have just kept it. The cut eBay takes is a crime.

The integration between smartphones and computers is apparently important to
a lot of people. I use my smartphone so rarely that it doesn't really matter
to me. I mostly use phones for talking and my flip phone does a great job
for that.

Seeing how addicted students in general have become to using cell
phones, I want to use mine as little as possible. Unfortunately, the
WiFi in my school is garbage, so I constantly have to use my phone's
data (which is fine because I get 100GB at full speed and unlimited slow
speeds). I also love to listen to podcasts, and the phone is great for
that. My wife also insists on being able to contact me through Telegram,
so I have no choice but to keep one.
 My wife and daughter (and a couple of my sons) live their lives on the
damned smarphones. Maybe I can convince them to install Telegram on them —
currently I'm the only one in the family who uses Telegram (mostly for the
news on the Russia/Ukraine war).
At work, I've become so annoying with telling the kids to put their phones in their pockets that they do so at the sight of me. Some kids actually asked me what I have against them. First, they're not supposed to be using them in the hallways or certain rooms; there are designated locations for their drug. However, the real reason is become the kids have become shockingly uninteresting as a result of social media, and they are in worse physical shape than a man three times their age (me). I keep telling them that my confiscating that crap would be doing them a favour.
--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch