Re: This is what the Pan newsreader for Windows looks like right now

Sujet : Re: This is what the Pan newsreader for Windows looks like right now
De : andrzej (at) *nospam* matu.ch (Andrzej Matuch)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date : 27. May 2024, 17:27:13
On 2024-05-27 11:12 a.m., DFS wrote:
On 2024-05-25 5:52 p.m., DFS wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/x8FI6dI

You promoters of GuhNoo/FOSS crapware need your heads examined.

Fact.

That behaviour was part of why I moved to Forte Agent. Forte's awful filtration system is why I gave up, went back to Betterbird, and just abandoned trying to get blocknews to work right. I'm back on eternal-september.org.
  Yeah, blocknews on Thunderbird/Betterbird has degraded into nearly unusable as of late.  Read 10 posts (sometimes ONE), then get dropped connections that won't reconnect until you restart the newsreader. Submit posts that don't show up for 10 minutes, if at all.
 I've already had to restart the app 3x this morning just to read cola from BetterBird.
I gave up and am using Eternal September. I went back and forth with their technical team and they found nothing wrong, so I doubt that it will ever get fixed.

At one point I had to remove the blocknews acct from Betterbird, uninstall Betterbird, dig into C:\users\appdata and delete a Thunderbird folder or two, reinstall BBird and resubscribe to cola to get it to work.  What a fiasco.
I did that and it still didn't work.

Eternal september is as reliable as ever.  And it auto-filters some crossposting clowns.  But it's too slow for me.
 So I recently tried Claws Mail and Pan, but neither can hold a candle to the Birds.  XanaNews is pretty good, though.
 I spent a month and wrote my own very easy to use newsreader in PyQt.  A few clicks to choose a group and download N posts and you're subscribed.   Couple clicks to delete the subscription.  Has filtering and sorting and bolding/not bolding and replies.
 It's a work-in-progress, but I'll give it away (public domain) someday when I finish a few crucial features, like save drafts and save sent.
 Here's what it looks like now: https://imgur.com/a/Lh0ZNZx
I can manage with the slow speed of Eternal September. Hopefully, Blocknews will fix everything by the time it becomes unbearably slow.
--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch