Re: Distributed CoW file systems

Sujet : Re: Distributed CoW file systems
De : rotflol2 (at) *nospam* hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.misc
Date : 03. Jun 2024, 05:28:36
On 2024-06-02, candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
Gerhard Strangar <g.s@arcor.de> wrote at 18:07 this Saturday (GMT):
Hello,

I'm looking for a file system that can be mounted on a Linux client and
that is being distributed among multiple servers like a RAID 0. However,
I'd like it to have file system snapshots and the possibility to grow by
adding additional servers. I know BeeGFS, but it's lacking the
snapshots. I know ZFS, but it's lacking the ability to be spread across
multiple servers.
Can you recommend somthing combining those two? It does not need to be
free of charge, but it needs to work reliably.

Thanks,
Gerhard

BTRFS has RAID and snapshots. Not sure about the server part.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs

GlusterFS might be what you are looking for.

https://gluster.org/

Advantages

    Scales to several petabytes
    Handles thousands of clients
    POSIX compatible
    Uses commodity hardware
    Can use any ondisk filesystem that supports extended attributes
    Accessible using industry standard protocols like NFS and SMB
    Provides replication, quotas, geo-replication, snapshots and bitrot detection
    Allows optimization for different workloads
    Open Source