Re: NixOS commits a "purge" of "Nazi" contributors, forces abdication of founder

Sujet : Re: NixOS commits a "purge" of "Nazi" contributors, forces abdication of founder
De : nospam (at) *nospam* example.net (D)
Groupes : comp.os.linux.misc
Date : 06. Jul 2024, 12:39:28
On Sat, 6 Jul 2024, Borax Man wrote:

On 2024-07-05, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jul 2024, Borax Man wrote:

[*snip*]
On 2024-07-05, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

Thats probably what irks me most of all, that we pay for this.  It's
not the people who are grinding the most pushing these ideas.  I could
excuse Linux Torvalds wanting to weigh in on the Code of Conduct for the
Linux Kernel, but its people who don't contribute much.  Like Coraline
Ada Ehmke, who create the Contributor Covenant, throwing their weight
around, but not creating anything except a bloated github profile of
lots of tiny Ruby spots of code.  The Ladybird browser noted the same
thing, their objection to the Woke activism was the person wanting to
change gendered language had made no other real contribution.  Think of
those who go around moralising as DEI consultants or activist, what have
they actually produced of real value?

These "woke" or "marxist" ideas are luxury beliefs, and they are our
priestly class.  These beliefs are held by those who work cushy jobs,
usually, or have nothing to lose anyway.  Their JOB could just be to
pontificate or moralise, like a DEI consultant or something, but again,
this is just done on the backs of those who actually work.

Oh yes... I could keep you throwing up all evening with stories from the
mgmt meetings at a startup where I was consulting. The amount of pure
excrement woke bullshit I had to wade through, parry, oppose, threaten and
argue, to stop was enormous.

In the end, since it was a remote gig, it was not possible to fight, since
most of the other were on site and it's difficult to play politics when
you're the only one remote and the rest are on site.

But to my great satisfaction, once they decided to push through an "agile"
initiative, the top 20 percent of the company left and then they
terminated the most woke people since they couldn't carry their cost any
longer once the revenues dropped due to the woke b.s.! =D

I've had to deal with a lot of it, trust me.  Unfortunately there is a
class of people who are becoming more and more dominant, who are taking
leadership positions within companies, who see the company as a vehicle
for their own vanity.  They focus more and more on using the company,
and its resources to signal their own virtue than to produce.  More and
more focus on things that have nothing to do with the core business, and
things where it is debatable whether any employee get any tangible
benefit.

In Australia, there was a recent referendum about whether to include a
"voice to parliament" for Aboriginals and a preamble in the constitution
recognising them as the first peoples.  I was rather ambivalent about
it, but you saw companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to
campaing for a "YES" vote.  Why is an airline spending money on this?
How does this benefit shareholders, employees or customers?  No, its so
the CEO and execs can crow to others about their social work.

Anyway, to bring this back slightly on topic, I guess the point is we
need to not tolerate people using projects, companies, and steering them
towards activism for their own purposes.  If you want to be an activist
for LGBT rights or whatever, do so, but we shouldn't sit by why they use
*other peoples hard work* as a vehicle for thier own activism.  Do that
on your own time, with your own resources.  I think this is where we as
users, developers, employees, stakeholders need to push back and bit and
say "take it elsewhere, if you want a project, company to do activist
work, make your own explicitely for that purpose".  Take AntiX, its
explicitely Anti-Fascist, I have no idea how a distro is "anti-fascist",
it seems ridiculous, but at least its their OWN project, and from what I
know, it doesn't intrude on other peoples works, and apparently,
according to a friend, actually runs great.

I think you are right. I also hope that the culture of silence on the right is coming to an end. Historically, as soon as someone on the right spoke up, they were labeled as racist (no matter the topic) and were cancelled. But the left has become so extreme, and the labling and cancelling so prevalent, that I imagine that many on the right just don't care any longer about that, and then it becomes easier to speak up.
I've been running a meetup for 10 years, and on a few occasions I've encountered gender activists and a corona-hysteric. On some occasions I just ignore them, and they never come back, since they never get any speaking time, and on some occasions I've told them to go f*ck themselves and that the meetup is voluntary so they can go somewhere else if they don't like it.
All times, this has been very successful since the people are not used to someone telling them to go f*ck themselves, they disappear quite quickly.
I guess it also helps that the topic is tech-focused and mostly non-fashionable, so I imagine the gender-mob is drawn to more fashionable things such as kubernetes, devops and agile forums. ;)