Re: phone migration

Sujet : Re: phone migration
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.sys.mac.system comp.mobile.ipad comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 21. Jul 2024, 16:03:06
badgolferman wrote on Sun, 21 Jul 2024 09:54:39 -0000 (UTC) :

Every operating system NOT Apple, saves the original installer by default.

I have old installation programs which can no longer be installed on newer
versions of Windows.

I can discuss nuance of detail differently with you than with the zealots.

First, as rational intelligent well-informed adults, we should never
disagree with a fact - which is my main point with these religious zealots.

Jolly Roger is claiming that the IPA is manufactured out of thin air,
which is, even he knows, a brazen lie, as only Apple operating systems do
NOT store, by default, the original installer (at the time of
installation).

If you don't already have a backup of that IPA (which you had to do on your
own), then if that IPA is no longer on the App Store, you can't re-create
it out of thin air (even with the payware iMazing app he speaks of).

   *Do we first agree on that fundamental fact, badgolferman?*

Once we agree on that fact, then we have to see how other operating systems
do it as my claim is only Apple operating systems are brain dead this way.

Let's just compare with Windows & Android as those are what I use daily.

1. iOS: Every IPA is deleted from the device after installing, by default.
2. Android: Every APK is saved, by default, on the device,
            after installing.
3. Windows: Every exe/msi is saved, by default, on the device, after
            installing.

You have to understand why agreeing on facts is important, as with the
religious zealots, they don't even think about facts. Facts don't matter.

But to adults, facts are what we form our assessments upon.
An adult's belief system is fundamentally based on facts.

Now, assuming you agree with those fundamental facts, it's up to the
developer if they feel like supporting the existing operating system.

On Windows, you'd be hard pressed to find software that no longer works,
but it does exist. I'm using Adobe Acrobat 6 and Microsoft Office 7, and
both of those work just fine even as they must be something like 20 years
old, so it's clear that most Windows software works decades later.

Not all.
But most.

Same with Android.

Even better, while iOS inserts a unique AppleID into every app you install,
that's not done on Windows and Android so an app that you installed on one
Windows or Android will work on another in most cases.

Since we're adults, there are nuances in detail, as, for example, it could
be a 64-bit installer which might not work on a 32-bit machine, or it could
be a firefox executable where it checks for the Windows version as Mozilla
doesn't feel like supporting Windows XP (which is something like 30 years
old so I don't blame them).

But fundamentally, the reason I say iOS is primitive and brain dead and
that it's designed as a dumb terminal is partly due to the Stone-Age manner
that Apple handles IPAs, which is unlike how every other OS does things.

Do we agree on that?
If you need clarification, let me know.

But please don't just deny everything you don't like about Apple which is
what Jolly Roger and all the Apple religious zealots do all day, every day.