Re: Setting up an iPad without an AppleID

Sujet : Re: Setting up an iPad without an AppleID
De : YourName (at) *nospam* YourISP.com (Your Name)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 05. Aug 2024, 06:48:53
On 2024-08-05 03:42:23 +0000, Tyrone said:

On Aug 4, 2024 at 9:29:54 PM EDT, "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

Phones/PCs/iPads etc. are way beyond "dumb". There is more local processing
going on than in mainframes of 20 years ago.
 Maybe, but the tech industry is pushing more and more back towards
consumers having what are realistically little more than dumb terminals
with all the apps running on the developers' servers (at a monthly
subscription of course). Office 365 is the obvious example, but Apple
and Adobe also have webapps of their office and creative software.
 Office 365 is for corporations, so they no longer have to deploy Office to
50,000 separate PCs. It is all done automagically. For consumers who might
need Excel once a year, it is still a free download for iPads.  I bought
Office 2021 for Windows and Mac last year, for about $80 total. No 365 here.
 My Macs/PCs/iPhones/iPads are NOT "dumb terminals".
As I said above, they aren't *now*, but the tech industry is heading in that direction.

They want to do that because it makes it easier for them to enure
everyone is using the latest version, which in turn pushes poeple into
buying a newer device. They also do that to circumvent the pirating of
the apps.
 Of course.  Corporate PCs again.
Office 365, and the Apple and Adobe webspps, are for anyone who wants to use them.

BUT having everything on the "cloud" is ridiculously silly and makes it
impossible to do anything when your internet connection is down or your
device is considered "too old".
 The entire internet is in "the cloud". Is that "ridiculously silly"?  Is this
usenet group running on your local Mac? Or mine? No, we connect to "the cloud"
to talk here.
I meant your own documents and the apps you use to work on them all being stored on someone else's server.   :-\

And how often does one's internet connection go down? Maybe a few times a year
for maybe an hour total?   About as often as the power going out (unless a
major storm/tornado/hurricane comes through). You can't handle that?
 Even if my cable goes out, I can use my phone as a hotspot and be online again
in minutes. BFD. Way easier than cranking up a generator when the power goes
out, unless you have an automatic Generac system.