Re: The trip to France, Germany and Switzerland

Sujet : Re: The trip to France, Germany and Switzerland
De : recscuba_google (at) *nospam* huntzinger.com (-hh)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 12. Sep 2024, 14:16:35
On 9/11/24 10:51 PM, Alan wrote:
On 2024-09-11 19:39, Tom Elam wrote:
On 9/11/2024 5:17 PM, Alan wrote:
On 2024-09-10 15:54, Tom Elam wrote:

Riquewihr is similar and was the either/or choice, as we also visited Srasbourg too.

There's a lot of such small towns w/wineries in the Alsace region; I think we have a Karen Brown guidebook which has a couple of self- driving routes that's on the "to do" list .. my basic conclusion is that if one wants to get to such small villages, it is better done with a rental car than by mass transit as we had done.

Forgot to mention that I've looked into the "ship some home" too.

The problem I ran into are that State regulations on shipping of alcohol vary, and NJ is a "nope!" state.

For hand-carrying, the last time that I can recall packing some 750ml wine bottles into checked baggage was from Budapest, and their security folk (at least I hope it was them!) either didn't have TSA keys, or didn't care:  they just cut all the locks off.

-hh

Indiana is OK since about 5 years back. We carry wine home in checked bags from Europe every trip, never had an issue. The record is 7 bottles spread across 3 check bags. We do not lock our bags. You just reminded me why. Those are flimsy locks that do no real good.

And you're paying the tax and duty on those bottles, I assume.

:-)
Yes, that's why shipping is so expensive.
 But you just talked about carrying wine home in your checked bags.
 That's not what anyone I know calls "shipping".
Its another illustration of the trade-offs.
Carrying them home falls under the US customs $800/person exemption, if one is within the volume limits too.  Even so, the duty rates on overages isn't onerous .. something like 50 cents per wine bottle.
Shipping has no exemption provision (you're not traveling "with" it).
Plus as I noted, it can be prohibited by State law...and it had been prohibited to be shipped via USPS (Federal Postal laws), so one has to look to the private services (FedEx/UPS/DHL) for transportation.
-hh