For those of you breathlessly awaiting news of my recent flying activities

Sujet : For those of you breathlessly awaiting news of my recent flying activities
De : thomas.e.elam (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Tom Elam)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 17. Sep 2024, 18:05:40
Well, it was a pretty quiet summer for flying, normally a very busy Civil Air Patrol season. This year we have some new pilots in the state so I stepped back to let them get some experience. That also freed up more time to pursue my RC hobby and travel to Canada and Europe. The new pilots took advantage, and we never missed an opportunity to fly cadets due to lack of pilots.
This month I took over as the Assistant Operations Director for the state CAP Cadet O-Flight program. My predecessor decided to step down after 6 years on the job. And a great job he did, too
Measured by flights and hours flown this is the single most important Indiana CAP flying program. Including responsibility for all Indiana CAP flying, I have held similar, even more intense, jobs in the past, so stepping in was not a problem.
We already have requests in hand for 112 October O-Flights, so it's going to be a very busy month for me. My predecessor set up a shared tracking Excel spreadsheet that helps keep track of requests and what is actually flown. Thanks Ralph! CAP NHQ has an excellent budget tracking system as well.
I passed my 2024 checkride with flying colors and looking forward to next year. Still in great health, a January FAA physical should not be a barrier.
I also have enjoyed several 2024 trips in my flying club's aircraft.
In a few hours I am going down to a southern Indiana airport for some O-Flights and looking forward to a night flight back home. Also looking forward to a busy October.
At age 78 well aware my flying days ahead are numbered, but I'm going to enjoy what has been part of my life for almost 58 years as long as I can. When it's over I'll have a library of memories spread across 5 logbooks totaling over 4,000 flying hours that I can take off the shelf and remember with great fondness. It's been quite a ride.