Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models

Sujet : Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models
De : david (at) *nospam* nomail.afraid.org (dgb (David))
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 07. Mar 2024, 11:33:18
On 7 Mar 2024 at 01:03:05 GMT, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

On 2024-03-06, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 6 Mar 2024 at 16:23:38 GMT, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
On 2024-03-06, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 6 Mar 2024 at 04:45:43 GMT, "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

The current reports say Apple are not planning on making a new 27in
iMac or iMac Pro any time soon. There are dubious rumours that pop
up from time to time, including going to 32in iMac.
 That is my understanding too.

You could of course buy a Mac Mini or Mac Studio and add whatever
screen size you want. Not an "all-in-one", but depending on the
screen's base or using a display stand, it can almost be.
 My Professor friend has done exactly that!  The Studio Display is
just wonderful - but expensive!
 Best display I've ever owned. I have it sitting next to a 5K LG
UltraFine display, and it's striking how much better the Studio
Display is in just about every way: color accuracy, viewing angle,
backlight consistency, overall build quality, audio quality, and
camera quality.  It's worth every penny I paid for it.
 Thank you. That's really good to know. :-)

With iCloud storage being relatively cheap, there's no (apparent)
need to have lots of on-board storage nowadays.
 Personally, I can't really function without at least 2 TB of internal
storage, but I know I'm not representative of the average user.
 Is it possible for you to explain, in simple terms, why you need so
much internal storage rather than using the iCloud to be a storage
place of choice.  (I'm assuming you have a really good Internet
connection.)
 iCloud isn't an alternate storage location the way you are suggesting.
 iCloud's primary purpose is synchronizing content between all of your
devices. If you add a file to iCloud, it is automatically synced
(transferred) to all of your other devices. If you delete something from
one device, it gets deleted from all of your other devices and iCloud.
There are more suitable services available for generic cloud file
storage.
I don't think that is right. I believe iCloud can and does store material
without necessarily sending it to other Apple devices.

I don't store my entire photo library in iCloud. Doing so would cause me
to pay a monthly or yearly subscription, and I'm not interested in doing
that when I have lots of storage right on my Mac.
I do store all of my photo library on iCloud and I'm happy to pay a small
monthly fee.

I have multiple virtual machines, Docker containers, video editing
projects, and lots of other things on my Mac that simply aren't suitable
for cloud storage.
OK - thanks for explaining.
I've learned something new today!
https://www.docker.com/resources/what-container/

I back up my Apple mobile devices to my computer rather than the cloud.
I glibly accept Apple's free service which seems to work as designed. Setting
up a new iPhone nowadays is a doddle! Just place the new one next to the old
one and "voilà - it's done!
HOW do you back up your mobile devices to your computer?

The list goes on...
 Like I said, I realize my needs aren't representative of most users. And
I don't mind paying for more internal storage on my Macs.
Understood. Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.
--
David