Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models

Sujet : Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models
De : nuh-uh (at) *nospam* nope.com (Alan)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 12. Mar 2024, 00:50:51
On 2024-03-11 14:53, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2024-03-11 12:24, Alan wrote:
On 2024-03-09 07:27, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2024-03-09 07:49, Bud Frede wrote:
Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:

On 2024-03-06 17:24, Alan wrote:
On 2024-03-06 14:14, Alan Browne wrote:
claimed with a (large) grain of salt.

Imagine my consternation.

Fact is I have an Apple Silicon iMac and the numbers are plain to see.

The numbers are what you CLAIM to have seen...
...but won't show screenshots to corroborate.

I have no obligation to do so.

What you can do is go get your self an Apple Si Mac and see for yourself.

I myself would not find 8GB RAM to be enough. However, my wife finds it
to be quite usable on her M1 Macbook Air.

I do prefer more storage than 256GB, but my work MBPs have only had that
much the past several iterations and it's been fine. (I store most
things for work in cloud storage that my workplace provides.)

Theoretically, the tight coupling of CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD on Apple
Silicon makes it less sensitive to limited amounts of RAM, but we're not

It's not all that fantastic as my experience in same setup v. memory allocation shows.

Past architectures (lower end intel) already had GPU using main memory on the order of 1 - 2 GB.  Other devices used memory mapped IO to some extent.  Of course the current memory bandwidth is very high, so that is good.

Apple Si "upped the ante" - but the hype from Apple hasn't stood testing.

Testing you won't actually show...
 Yes or no: Do you have an Apple Si Mac?

Yes or no: could you post screenshots of what you claim you have seen?