Re: Apple asking for new password on some browsers

Sujet : Re: Apple asking for new password on some browsers
De : cshannon1898 (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Connor Shannon)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 08. Jul 2024, 18:37:48
On 7/7/24 1:14 AM, Your Name wrote:
On 2024-07-07 04:52:11 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

Hi this isn't really a Mac system problem I don't think but maybe.

I usually have a tab open for iCloud on my iMac in Firefox. Today I tried to use it and it had signed me out, okay that happens sometimes. But when I tried to log in it said:

This Apple ID has been locked for security reasons.
You must unlock your account before signing in.

If I click on Unlock Account it puts me to the Reset Password page.

I've had to change my password sometimes but I don't remember it ever saying "security reasons" when I did.

I took off all the Apple and iCloud cookies in Firefox but I got the same message. But here's the weird thing: I tried logging in from Safari and it was fine. (I forget but I might have used TouchID.) Same thing on my MacBook: I get the error message in FF but Safari is fine. (I definitely used TouchID with Safari on the MacBook.)

Oh I just tried Chrome on the MacBook and got the error message there too.

I just opened Apple TV on my Roku and it didn't ask me for a new password I was able to see all my purchases just fine.

Is there something different with FF and Chrome b'cuz it doesn't use TouchID, or does any body know whats going on? Thank you.

Could be fine of could be a phising scam.
                ^^
       ... fine or could be ...
 Damn typos!  :-(

First thing I'd do is immediately change the iCloud password using a trusted browser - Safari on any Mac or iOS/iPadOS device - by going directly to iCloud.com. Then try logging directly into iCloud.com on Firefox and/or Chrome (not via some potentially weird error window/button).

Next, maybe check any recently installed add-ons in Firefox/Chrome and get rid of any you don't need or recognise.

But there is no "iCloud password" by itself. It's my Apple login. If I change it there, I'll have to change it everywhere. Probably the best thing to do, but annoying.
Have you seen that notice before about "security reasons"?