Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models

Sujet : Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models
De : jollyroger (at) *nospam* pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 08. Mar 2024, 03:38:22
On 2024-03-07, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 7 Mar 2024 at 23:04:03 GMT, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

On 2024-03-07, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 7 Mar 2024 at 21:32:54 GMT, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
On 2024-03-07, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 7 Mar 2024 at 16:42:05 GMT, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
On 2024-03-07, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
 I believe iCloud can and does store material without necessarily
sending it to other Apple devices.
 That's not its primary purpose though. As exampled, photos,
contacts, reminders, calendars, iCloud Drive documents, app
settings, and so on are all synchronized between all of your
devices. Add one and it appears on all of your devices. Remove
one from one device, and it gets removed from iCloud and your
other devices.
 I totally accept that!
 However, I can store any other item I wish.
 Yes, but the default behavior is if you delete it, it gets deleted
from your other devices.
 Perhaps you are not aware of changes made to iCloud.
 If you put Documents into iCloud, they are not added to iPhone
and/or iPad.
 See:-
https://i.ibb.co/ZfPsSjg/Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-22-19-10.png
 No, that's incorrect. iCloud Drive is not a generic cloud file
storage service. Things you add to iCloud Drive are made available to
all of the Apple devices that are logged in with the same Apple ID.

"Made available to" ......... I accept that. But not installed upon.
I'm not sure what you are here arguing about. When I take a photo on one
device, it is transferred to my other devices. When I add a contact on
one device, it is transferred to my other devices. When I add or change
a calendar event, the same thing happens on my other devices. iCloud is
primarily a synchronization service, but it does other things as well.
You seem to want to argue that because iCloud Drive doesn't always
automatically download changes to each device that somehow means it's
just like any other cloud storage service, but that's simply not the
case. Most data in iCloud is synchronized to all of your devices, and if
you delete something from iCloud Drive it gets deleted everywhere else.
It is *not* a generic cloud storage service. --
JR