Re: RockYou2024 leak of 10 billion passwords - the biggest password leak ever

Sujet : Re: RockYou2024 leak of 10 billion passwords - the biggest password leak ever
De : jollyroger (at) *nospam* pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 12. Jul 2024, 02:21:12
On 2024-07-11, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
On 2024-07-11 16:17, Fishrrman wrote:
On 7/6/24 7:28 PM, Mickey D wrote:
Cybernews researchers discovered what appears to be the largest
password compilation with a staggering 9,948,575,739 unique
plaintext passwords. The file with the data, titled rockyou2024.txt,
was posted on July 4th by forum user ObamaCare.

I'm currently experimenting with Apple's new OS 15 "Sequoia" on an
external SSD.

One of the new features of this release will be the Apple "Passwords"
app.

Although (up to this point) I've kept all my passwords in a
self-created database, I opened Passwords to see what it was like.

It had already compiled a list of passwords that I'd been using on
the experimental Sequoia SSD.

But one feature that looked welcome was...  ... it identified two of
my passwords that may have recently been "compromised". It looks like
the Passwords app is reaching into some "resevoir" of
"known-compromised" passwords, or perhaps even Apple has acquired
some of these giant purloined password files.

In any case, it lets you know if specific passwords you're using may
be compromised...

Good thing.

I DL'd an earlier RockYou and exported my passwords from 1Password to
a flatfile (.txt).  The obtuse 1Password text file format (clearly
"evolved over time" <cough>) took some time to code for.  This program
searched all my passwords against the RockYou file.  One showed up.  A
complex password that some company generously leaked to the world once
upon a time.  While I had changed the password on the site I hadn't
flushed the backup of it from 1P and it was in the 1P file... since
abandoned that co. but a copy of that pw is forever in Rockyou
variants.

The current version of rockyou2024.txt is here, for anyone interested:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4e3915a8ecf6bc174687533d93975b1ff0bde38a

JR