Re: Sequoia 15 - Passwords / Errata

Sujet : Re: Sequoia 15 - Passwords / Errata
De : jollyroger (at) *nospam* pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Groupes : comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 24. Sep 2024, 23:56:44
On 2024-09-24, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
On 2024-09-24 14:18, Jolly Roger wrote:
On 2024-09-24, Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
On 2024-09-21 14:30, Alan Browne wrote:

One thing that is dumb about it is it assumes all passwords are for
some website.  Does not appreciate that some passwords are for other
uses.  Workaround: fake website name.

Oopsie.  That is not correct - you can enter the name for a password
that is not related to a website.  No user name either.  Then password
and a note if needed.

Getting quite good.

So long 1Password, we hardly knew ye.

I've been using Apple's password manager for decades. The only reason
I've ever considered using anything else is for cross-platform
compatibility, which just isn't a big deal for me since my iPhone is
always easily accessible in my pocket or on my desk anyway.

I do have a minor gripe with the new Passwords app: When viewing the
details page for a given password, the 2FA code doesn't display any sort
of visual count down to when they expire and change to a new number.
So you might start to enter a number only to have it change before you
are done. Other 2FA authenticator apps I've used give you an indication (such as
the codes turning yellow, then red, the closer they are to expiration).
However, if you instead view the "Codes" page where all 2FA codes are
listed, there is a countdown at the very top. And on Apple's
devices/computers, you don't often need to enter a number manually since
it's all automated with a single click. That makes this a minor gripe at
best.

Haven't used Apple Password 2FA gen'd codes so no comment - but I get
what you mean.  Usually (from my side) the 2FA is the site I'm logging
onto sending a code via SMS (which is not super secure[1]).

If those sites support authenticator apps where a code is automatically
generated without need for messaging, you should consider using them
instead as it's much more secure. That's what I am referring to above.

I liked 1Password as I'd buy a license and I could run it on various
machines, OS's and browsers seamlessly.  Every 4 - 5 years I'd have to
upgrade so another $25 CAD or whatever.

That seems like the most beneficial reason to use it to me.

When they went rental I vowed to not follow (and had an exchange of
messages with the co. founder on the issue).   1Password still works on
my Macs and iPhone - but no longer in browsers (2 years now?).  No idea
for Windows as I don't use it except for a dwindling graphics use case.
Never used it on Linux that I recall - maybe in old-old browser only
days... not sure.

Also 1Password provided for encrypting all sorts of stuff beyond just
login creds - so there's that too.  But not a biggie.

With the new Apple version there's a bug logging into my bank however.
Hopefully gets resolved - otherwise I have to copy paste the password.

Try right-clicking the password field and choosing Autofill > Passwords.
I've found on finicky websites that works as a fallback.

JR