Combination with Hoefler Text

Sujet : Combination with Hoefler Text
De : engelbert_buxbaum (at) *nospam* hotmail.com (Dr Engelbert Buxbaum)
Groupes : comp.text.tex
Date : 25. Aug 2024, 10:46:31

Hi,

some time ago we discussed the Hoefler text as bread font, but nobody
would suggest fonts to combine with it. I have been experimenting with
this, and based on the idea that combining fonts from the same
typographer should usually work, used the Gotham for sans-serif and the
Operator for mono-spaced (in my work, monospaced is used mostly for
computer code). I am not an artist, so the only bad thing about this
combination I noticed is the `l´ in the italic version of the Operator,
that sticks out too much (although it is nicely different from `i`, `I´
`l´ and `1´). What do you think? What would be the alternatives?

 %%
====
  % !Mode:: "TeX:UK:UTF-8"
  % !TEX program = XeLaTeX
  %
-----
\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
\documentclass[a4paper,british,final]{scrartcl}

\usepackage{fontspec, lipsum}

% HoeflerText from fontsgeek.com
\setmainfont{HoeflerText Roman.otf}[
      BoldFont = HoeflerText Bold.otf,
      ItalicFont = HoeflerText Italic.otf,
      BoldItalicFont = HoeflerText-Bold-Italic Regular.otf,
      SmallCapsFont = HoeflerText -SmallCaps Roman.otf,
]

% Gotham https://fontdafont.net/gotham-font-free-download/
\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
\setsansfont{GothamBook.ttf}[
      BoldFont = GothamBold.ttf,
      ItalicFont = GothamBookItalic.ttf,
      BoldItalicFont = GothamBoldItalic.ttf,
]

% Operator Mono from https://fontsfree.net/?s=Operator%20Mono
\setmonofont{OperatorMono-Book.ttf}[
      BoldFont = OperatorMono-Bold.ttf,
      ItalicFont = OperatorMono-BookItalic.ttf,
      BoldItalicFont = OperatorMono-BoldItalic.ttf,
]

% Note: the font names as downloaded are a bit odd, they were changed
for consistency

\title{Hoefler Text, combined with Gotham and OperatorMono}
\author{Tester}
\date{\today}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\section{Test fonts}

Normal: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B ()
{} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu

\textbf{Bold: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6
8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu}

\textit{Italic: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6
8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu}

\textbf{\textit{Bold italic: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st
ct Qu}}

\textsc{Small caps: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O
5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu}

\textsf{Sans serif: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O
5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu}

\textsf{\textbf{Sans serif bold: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€
1234567890 st ct Qu}}

\textsf{\textit{Sans serif italic: The quick brown fox jumps over the
lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€
1234567890 st ct Qu}}

\textsf{\textit{\textbf{Sans serif italic bold: The quick brown fox
jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+
\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu}}}

\texttt{Typewriter text: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st
ct Qu }

\texttt{\textit{Typewriter text italic: The quick brown fox jumps over
the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€
1234567890 st ct Qu}}

\textbf{\textit{Typewriter text bold: The quick brown fox jumps over the
lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+\# `´;:,.€
1234567890 st ct Qu}}

\texttt{\textit{\textbf{Typewriter text bold italic: The quick brown fox
jumps over the lazy dog 1Iil| 0O 5S6 8B () {} [] ~-\_ @!"§\$ \% \& /=?*+
\# `´;:,.€ 1234567890 st ct Qu}}}

The quick brown \textsf{fox jumps} over \texttt{the lazy} dog

\textit{The quick brown \textsf{fox jumps} over \texttt{the lazy} dog}

\textbf{The quick brown \textsf{fox jumps} over \texttt{the lazy} dog}

\section{Sample text}

\subsection{Normal text}

\lipsum[1]

\subsection{Italic}

\textit{\lipsum[2]}

\subsection{Sans Serif}

\textsf{\lipsum[3]}

\end{document}

--
DIN EN ISO 9241 Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual
display terminals (VDTs) - Part 13: User guidance