The Foundation of Linguistic truth is NOT stipulated relations between finite strings

Sujet : The Foundation of Linguistic truth is NOT stipulated relations between finite strings
De : jbb (at) *nospam* notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Groupes : comp.theory
Date : 17. Sep 2024, 02:26:12
The amount of utter nonsense one might discover in USENET is typified by a thread titled "The Foundation of Linguistic truth is stipulated relations between finite strings". It's even doubtful there is an agreed upon meaning of "linguistic truth". Is it something to do with truths expressed in language, truths about language, or something else?
In fact "truth" isn't so easy to define either. Is it a time independent fact, something believed by a corespondent, or something else?
This is a trivial example of what happens when unqualified folks want to define things that have been considered for millennia by some of the finest human minds that we know of without resolution as yet. Occasionally one of the hoi polloi will solve one of the "big ones" and be elevated to the Parthenon of the Greats but don't hold your breath.
I remember reading a book by Karl von Frisch about bees and how they communicate the location of pollen sources through ritualized dances. (He received a Nobel Prize for his works.) Since any, and I repeat any, communication mechanism, involves a language we can conclude that only a shit-for-brain moron would look for a stipulation in the evolution of bees and their ancestors over geological time periods. Oh! And by the way, what language did bees and their ancestors use to make these stipulations? And what are the finite strings within dances that are stipulated? By whom? How?
And of course there is the communications of flowers to bees. First off, did you know that bees can see in color but that there color receptors are for different wave lengths than ours? Bee color vision is not our RGB; rather it is based on R G BP, where BP stands for bee purple, and is in the ultraviolet spectrum where we and most animals cannot detect it. It turns out that many flowers color pathways on their petal insides with lines that are paths that show a bee where the pollen is. (Just stay on the yellow brick road.) And that children is how flowers tell bees how to cross pollinate them while also shouting there's food there. Once again I ask what finite strings and how were they stipulated?
--
Jeff Barnett