Re: Proliferating LLVMs

Sujet : Re: Proliferating LLVMs
De : le (at) *nospam* main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Groupes : comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date : 11. Mar 2024, 04:49:26
Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
On 2024-02-19, Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

Over time, there's a tendency to accumulate llvm versions on your
system that aren't actually used for anything any longer.

Hm,looks like llvm12 is now gone.
I have llvm13-13.0.1_7 and llvm15-15.0.7_10 in place.

My low-effort approach is this: When I see that the llvm ports will
be rebuilt anyway, I deinstall them.  The ones actually required
as dependencies will come back, at no extra compile cost.

I have upgraded the base OS to 13.2-RELEASE-p10.

Would llvm versions past 15 work?

Work for what?
If a certain port has a fixed dependency on a particular llvm version
then having newer llvm versions installed doesn't affect this.  For
instance, Firefox and Mesa require llvm15 at the moment.

I have them running,I assume at some point they switched to it
from llvm13.

I've just been doing a long synth run that has had llvm12,
llvm13,
and llvm15@default building in parallel.

I noted that when llvm12 finished,
openjdk11 started (not having started before
despite open build channels).
When llvm15@default finished,
mesa-libs,
qt6-tools,
and firefox started.

At this writing llvm13 is still building.

Grepping for LLVM_VERSION over the ports tree shows that for all
llvm versions from 11 to 16, there's at least one port that wants
this particular version.

I suppose nothing I have installed wants 16,or 16  would be added.

I see that 13.3-RELEASE adds 17,
so will this solve problems
when I upgrade from 13.2 or make
them more complicated?

Well,last night I tried deleting llvm12 and got back a message
indicating that it wasn't there (normally I'd get a message
indicating what would be deleted along with it,if I recall
previous attempts correctly).

...and when I next launched X,I found it failed via segmentation
fault when I tried launching Seamonkey (I run Seamonkey,which is
no longer in the ports tree to my annoyance,for legacy reasons).
And I tried putting llvm12 back but now X won't launch at all
(first fails pointed to xorg.3.log and recent to xorg.0.log).

I can't think of anything else I did that would have made X
stop working but I'm doing a new synth prepare-system,will
see what results.

This has still not resolved...I can not launch seamonkey or firefox
without fvwm crashing if it even starts in the first place.

-=-=-