Re: Vanishing Mail Notification

Sujet : Re: Vanishing Mail Notification
De : wbe (at) *nospam* UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid (Winston)
Groupes : comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 08:15:09
Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> writes:
For some reason my newest install doesn't
precede prompts with "You have new mail in /var/mail/le"
as appropriate.
What turns this on or off?

("You have new mail" still appears on login).

Your shell usually does that, and the answer would depend on which type
of shell you use.  man {your shell} and search for mail.

For sh-type shells, I think just setting the environment variable MAIL
is enough to have it check the mailbox.

For csh-type shells, there's setenv mail your-mailbox, but also look at
the special aliases "periodic", "tperiod", "precmd", and "postcmd".
Of the special aliases, check precmd and tperiod first.
 -WBE