Re: on git cloning src.git

Sujet : Re: on git cloning src.git
De : jfairchild (at) *nospam* tudado.org (Johanne Fairchild)
Groupes : comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date : 01. Apr 2024, 03:12:49
Philippe Michel <philippe.michel7@free.fr.invalid> writes:

On 2024-03-29, Johanne Fairchild <jfairchild@tudado.org> wrote:

Sorry.  This seems to have nothing to do with FreeBSD.  I believe I
can't clone any large repository.

But I can do just fine with small ones.

Depending on what you intent to do with it, a shallow clone of a
specific branch might be enough and will be much smaller than the entire
src. Something like:
git clone -b stable/14 --depth 1 https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /usr/src

That worked well.  I don't need the full repository.  I just want to
read the current source code.  It turns out I was able to clone the
whole thing, but I had to upgrade the AWS virtual machine from the $3.5
one to the $10 one.  (I did not try the $5 one.)  There must be
resource-quotas that somehow did not let the cloning take place.  I
don't know how it works.  Thanks very much.