Re: Thoughts on the coming end-of-support for 32-bit architectures?

Sujet : Re: Thoughts on the coming end-of-support for 32-bit architectures?
De : le (at) *nospam* main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Groupes : comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date : 21. May 2024, 21:03:28
TronNerd82 <tronnerd82@aol.com> wrote:
How badly are you affected by FreeBSD's decision to deprecate support
for 32-bit CPU architectures? Do you use a 32-bit machine? Do you rely
heavily on multilib? Do you think FreeBSD should step back on this decision,
or go for it?

Let's discuss.

I have LAN-connected 32-bit machines not currently running,
with data to which I'd like to have access...I'm not sure to
what extent this is affected,but upgrading the FBSD versions
on them is already problematic.

(When I got my first 64-bit machine I first discovered that
the "Complete 32/64-bit operating system" touted on the CDROM
cases since 64-bit became available was actually only 32-bit
on the CDROMs and had to switch my subscription to DVD...and
of course it's been a long time since this 386BSD derivative
could run on a 386,not that I ever tried to).

The decoupling of ports from older OS versions is another
issue with trying to keep older computers running...would
there need to be a "retro fork" project?

-=-=-