Re: Got this iXsystems server beeping a loud beep

Sujet : Re: Got this iXsystems server beeping a loud beep
De : neitzel (at) *nospam* gaertner.de (Martin Neitzel)
Groupes : comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date : 03. Jul 2024, 15:36:45
The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
Running FreeBSD 14.1 .

I saw a red light of the leftmost drive (HW RAID Mirror) .
I pulled the drive and noise did not go away.

Just need to know how to identify the HW controller and
the MB to get you more information.

Review /var/run/dmesg.boot and locate the RAID controller there.
It will probably show up as a unit for one of the device drivers
listed by

% apropos -s 4 raid
aac(4) - Adaptec AdvancedRAID Controller driver
aacraid(4) - Adaptec AACRAID Controller driver
amr(4) - MegaRAID SCSI/ATA/SATA RAID driver
arcmsr(4) - Areca RAID Controller driver
hpt27xx(4) - HighPoint RocketRAID 27xx SAS 6Gb/s HBA card driver
hptiop(4) - HighPoint RocketRAID 3xxx/4xxx device driver
hptmv(4) - HighPoint RocketRAID 182x device driver
hptrr, rr232x(4) - HighPoint RocketRAID device driver
iir(4) - Intel Integrated RAID controller and ICP Vortex driver
ips(4) - IBM/Adaptec ServeRAID controller driver
mfi, mfi_linux, mfip(4) - LSI MegaRAID SAS driver
mlx(4) - Mylex DAC-family RAID driver
mly(4) - Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID family driver
mrsas(4) - LSI MegaRAID 6Gb/s and 12Gb/s SAS+SATA RAID controller driver
twa(4) - 3ware 9000/9500/9550/9650 series SATA RAID controllers driver
twe(4) - 3ware 5000/6000/7000/8000 series PATA/SATA RAID adapter driver
tws(4) - 3ware 9750 SATA+SAS 6Gb/s RAID controller card driver

Review the appropriate driver man page's SEE ALSO section to find a hint
for userland interface for the controller.  For example, mfi(4) will
point you to mfiutil(8), and the latter has a subcommand to turn off the
alarm.

For identifying your motherboard, I recommend dmidecode(8) -- that's
available as a port for FreeBSD.

Lastly, I am a bit suprised that iXsystems would sell you a system with
a HW RAID controller.  I thought they were focussed on ZFS, on top of
HBAs / IT-mode controllers.

Martin Neitzel