Re: Setting the TTY VT font globally

Sujet : Re: Setting the TTY VT font globally
De : anton.txt (at) *nospam* gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Groupes : comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date : 22. Sep 2024, 15:17:57
Detlef Sax <sax@noart.de> wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2024 19:20:31 -0000 (UTC), Anton Shepelev wrote:

FreeBSD 14.1 RELEASE here.

The virtual TTYs (Ctrl+Alt+F1..F8) are provided through VT(4),
the man page to which mentions only one tool for setting
up the font -- vidcontrol(1), which affects only the TTY on which
the program is invoked.

How, then, can I set up the font I need (e.g. terminus-b32.fnt),
  a) as early in the boot process as possble, and
  b) for all TTYs, 1 to 8 ?

Simply put following into /etc/rc.config:
fontb32="terminus-b32.fnt"

You mean in /etc/rc.conf? Unfortunately, this line
has no effect, at least no the one I seek.  I think
this is an unrecognised variable, not check by any
component.

sysrc fontb32="terminus-b32.fnt"
does the job.

Yes, and I wonder why FreeBSD provides a dedicdated
utility for adding lines info rc.conf.  Querying those
values is certainly useful, though.

man rc.conf
or
less /etc/defaults/rc.conf
for other useful settings.

Thank you, but fontb32 is not mentioned in either.
How did you learn about the `fontb32' setting?