MEDIA: Barbara Jordan's Prescription for Fixing Immigration -- and Our National Despair

Sujet : MEDIA: Barbara Jordan's Prescription for Fixing Immigration -- and Our National Despair
De : groenveld (at) *nospam* acm.org (John D Groenveld)
Groupes : misc.immigration.usa
Date : 19. May 2024, 17:05:10
Morris Dees and $PLC certified deplorable, Andrew Arthur on whether
Susie Wiles sees signs in her (or Bill Stepien before her (or Brad
Parscale before him)) internal polling that legacy American proles
who might be convinced to cast ballots for Donald Trump are satisfied
with American culture that the 8+B globe's top two quintiles of
strivers are asked to assimilate:
<URL:https://cis.org/Arthur/Barbara-Jordans-Prescription-Fixing-Immigration-and-Our-National-Despair>
| Instead of Pulitzer Hall, however, perhaps it's better to start in
| the West Wing, or DHS headquarters, or wherever the president's
| immigration and border policies are crafted: One of the first acts
| undertaken by the current administration was to bar certain words
| from the official parlance, and one of those words was
| "assimilation", replaced instead by "integration".
|
| At the time, I analyzed the two (admittedly similar) terms and noted
| that whereas assimilation places obligations on the erstwhile
| newcomer to adjust, integration puts that burden on the preexisting
| group.
|
| "Assimilation" remains the more apt term, as Jordan makes clear that
| while both have a duty to the other, the adjustment expected of the
| newcomer is greater because "embracing the common core of American
| civic culture" is a change of essence, whereas "reminding ourselves
| what makes us America" is a constant recommitment to that essence.

Does Casey DeSantis regret that her path to WhiteHouse.GOV was dashed
by Ron's failure to convince the likes of Miriam Adelson, Robert
Bigelow, Walter Buckley, Betsy DeVos, Ken Griffin, Julia Koch, Bernie
Marcus, Lachlan Murdoch, Thomas Peterffy, Bruce Rauner, Chris Reyes,
David Sacks and Steve Wynn to fund advertisements on Murdoch's
FoxNews.COM with the like of Mike Emmons warning legacy American proles
that Trump will sign the permanent bipartisan fusion party's
comprehensive immigration reform legislation passed by the likes of
Mike Johnson and John Thune so long as the Cheap Labor Lobby authors
include the magic words merit-based?
John
groenveld@acm.org
--
"Trump still defends his decisions to not fire Fauci and to hire
Chris Wray, This on the heels of keeping Ronna McDaniel in power and