Re: The Elite College Students Who Can't Read Books

Sujet : Re: The Elite College Students Who Can't Read Books
De : adhellman1 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Auric Hellman)
Groupes : misc.news.internet.discuss
Date : 05. Oct 2024, 05:55:01
On 10/4/2024 11:35 AM, JAB wrote:
The Elite College Students Who Can't Read Books
 Nicholas Dames has taught Literature Humanities, Columbia University's
required great-books course, since 1998. He loves the job, but it has
changed. Over the past decade, students have become overwhelmed by the
reading. College kids have never read everything they're assigned, of
course, but this feels different. Dames's students now seem bewildered
by the thought of finishing multiple books a semester. His colleagues
have noticed the same problem. Many students no longer arrive at
college--even at highly selective, elite colleges--prepared to read
books
 https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/11/the-elite-college-students-who-cant-read-books/679945/
The attitude of today's generation is "Why bother learning something when Siri can learn it for me?". I don't foresee that attitude changing anytime soon.
--
Dr. Auric D. Hellman
adhellman1@gmail.com