Re: IOS v. 17.4

Sujet : Re: IOS v. 17.4
De : ithinkiam (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Chris)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date : 09. Mar 2024, 12:55:01
Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
On 2024-03-08 06:06, Wilf wrote:
On 2024-03-07 04:08, Wilf wrote:
On 06/03/2024 at 20:36, Cameo wrote:
I've just got my iPhone 15 Pro Max updated to iOS 17.4, but on the
surface I don't see any changes. Maybe they are deeper.
 I'm really excited about the lime emoji ;)
 Where this falls apart:
 I just sent a "lime" emoji as a test.  It shows up on my iMac (up to
date OS) as a lemon with a green square to the right.
 Since my SO (recipient of the test) has an iPhone 7, she won't get the
lime emoji either.

 I was joking about the lime emoji, but seriously surprised that it doesn't get rendered properly on older machines.  I wonder how it will look on Android phones?   How do any Apple emojis look on other machines?
 Emoji's are not transmitted as an image but as a code.  (Same as characters - the computer has to generate the font to be seen.  And this turns into a whole "thing" of its own with various fonts and extended character sets and the saving grace of Unicode (UTF-8, etc)...).
 Emoji's were a defacto thing when they first emerged.  As such the code for an emoji could render something unrelated on a different device it it didn't adhere to the same "standard".
 Eventually Emoji's were taken into Unicode.  Yep.  There is a committee that manages the codes and what they're supposed to represent.  Apple is a member of Unicode as are the usual suspects and many more.
 But, each co. (Apple, etc.) has to come up with scalable graphics for each code for their own OS'.  And then distribute that amongst it's OS versions.  Retro fitting this is practical only to the depth of standard support.  To boot, companies revise their emoji's over time (improve the graphic somehow or add variation.
Yep. For example the gun emoji 🔫 was changed to a water pistol on Apple
devices from an actual handgun.
So to your last question, how the Apple sent emoji looks on, say, an Android phone, is up to the Android OS that receives the emoji.