Re: iOS 18 preview of top 5 features

Sujet : Re: iOS 18 preview of top 5 features
De : nuh-uh (at) *nospam* nope.com (Alan)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.mobile.ipad comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date : 16. Jul 2024, 18:11:47
On 2024-07-16 03:59, Andrew wrote:
Alan Browne wrote on Mon, 15 Jul 2024 20:03:02 -0400 :

MKBHD does a quick iOS 18 rundown of his fav 5 things in iOS 18.

Naturally he picks on Apple a bit (for things already in Android).

Of the first 4 I'm more interested in the Password app (which also
appears to bleed into Chrome on Mac OS [go figure - as I've almost
completely transitioned away from Chrome to Safari]).

... but the top item to him (and me) appears to be that that marvelous
calculator app from iPad land will also be on the iPhone!

And I hope it leaks Mac OS-ward too.

https://youtu.be/ArcI4A5nvBo 12:46
 According to Marques Brownlee, here's the best a 3-1/2 trillion-dollar
company with almost no R&D to speak of, can come up with for iOS 18.
  <https://youtu.be/ArcI4A5nvBo>
No. Those are the top features that HE CHOSE to review.

 1) A Calculator
2) Some Little Things
3) Homescreen Customization
4) A Passwords App
5) An updated Control Center
 That's it?
Seriously?
 Apple R&D can't do more than that?
In an entire year?
Are you kidding me?
 Even Marques Brownlee hinted that Apple is incompetent by clapping "yay,
Apple finally joined the year 2024" and he said "Welcome to 2024 Apple".
 His derision of Apple's almost total lack of innovation was palpable.
 I guess this is the best a company without R&D to speak of, can do...
(Thank God Apple is so good at advertising because they suck at R&D.)
 1) The Calculator
    Scientific, math notes with graphical solutions, syncs across
    your AppleID devices, changes variables, answers in handwriting
2) Little Things
    Game Mode CPU priority, Photos App search, Shazam shortcuts,
    RCS Support (in 2024, clap, clap), read receipts, typing indicators
3) Homescreen Customization
    Finally. Kind'a. Icons can go anywhere, welcome to 2024,
    Large icons, tinting icons,
4) Passwords App
    Collected existing settings, sharing iPhone passwords,
    Defaults to Face-ID, not platform compatible
5) Control Center
    colorful, expanded pages, stretch size, more controls,
    including flashlight intensity & beam width (fails),
    lockscreen controls,
 Given nobody in tech spends less than Apple in R&D, it's no wonder
yet again, as usual, Apple is five years (or more) behind Android.
Only 3 or 4 companies spend more than Apple.