Re: Thank God Apple is so good at marketing because they suck at R&D

Sujet : Re: Thank God Apple is so good at marketing because they suck at R&D
De : nuh-uh (at) *nospam* nope.com (Alan)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.mobile.ipad comp.sys.mac.system
Date : 16. Jul 2024, 19:38:55
On 2024-07-16 04:03, Andrew wrote:
According to Marques Brownlee, here's the best a 3-1/2 trillion-dollar
company with almost no R&D to speak of, can come up with for iOS 18.
  <https://youtu.be/ArcI4A5nvBo>
  I guess this is the best a company without R&D to speak of, can do
(in an entire year of development, this is the best R&D can do?)...
 1) The Calculator
    Scientific, math notes with graphical solutions, syncs across
    your AppleID devices, changes variables, answers in handwriting
2) Little Things
    Game Mode CPU priority, Photos App search, Shazam shortcuts,
    RCS Support (in 2024, clap, clap), read receipts, typing indicators
3) Homescreen Customization
    Finally. Kind'a. Icons can go anywhere, welcome to 2024,
    Large icons, tinting icons,
4) Passwords App
    Collected existing settings, sharing iPhone passwords,
    Defaults to Face-ID, not platform compatible
5) Control Center
    colorful, expanded pages, stretch size, more controls,
    including flashlight intensity & beam width (fails),
    lockscreen controls,
 Given nobody in tech spends less than Apple in R&D, it's no wonder
yet again, as usual, Apple is five years (or more) behind Android.
1. Apple spends more on R&D than all but 3 or 4 companies.
2. Don't imagine that this is all Apple "came up with". Brownlee explicitly states:
'Now, for this video, the one thing I'm leaving out is Apple Intelligence stuff. That's like an entire separate bucket of stuff that, to be honest, hasn't really been available for me to test in the pre-release betas. So I'm gonna make a separate video just about that stuff as soon as it's actually testable.'