Re: Google dropped a bombshell today about Chrome cookies

On 26/07/2024 05:53 Alan wrote: > On 2024-07-25 19:41, Newyana2 wrote: >> On 7/25/2024 9:19 PM, Steve Hayes wrote: >> >>> Many social media sites started as the former, and were taken over by >>> companies that turned them into the latter, or tried to, and if they >>> failed, they were dumped -- as Yahoo! took over Geocities, destroyed >>> everything that made it attractive to users, and then dumped it, >>> leaving a lot of dead links on the web, and a lot of useful >>> information rendered inaccessible. >> >>  I think of Geocities as a good example of the early Web. I wasn't >> aware of that history. I just remember that a lot of people set >> up interesting and creative websites on there... then they were >> gone. > > Because the infrastructure that let them stay up had to be PAID FOR. Infrastructure is pretty cheap these days. You can rent a Linux server for $10 a month and host hundreds if not thousands of websites on it. The problem is that companies are seeking unrealistic profits and valuations of their stock.