Re: Can We Have a Troll Free August?

Sujet : Re: Can We Have a Troll Free August?
De : nuh-uh (at) *nospam* nope.com (Alan)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date : 03. Aug 2024, 02:15:07

On 2024-07-31 00:04, Chris wrote:
Andrew <andrew@spam.net> wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote on 30 Jul 2024 21:44:51 GMT :

How about nobody (incl. JR and Alan, but a few others (and me)) not
reply at all to the trolls for the entire month of August.

Challenge accepted. I doubt much will change, but I'm in.

I'm in too. I won't respond to the Alan Baker or Alan Browne trolls.
Deal?

But I still reserve the right to study Jolly Roger as he interests me.

Let's see how often you change nym to avoid people's killfiles.

I don't use killfiles.

If I don't want to reply to someone...

...I just don't.

:-)

And even if I do, I think "Have I anything useful to say?". The answer is
usually "No", and I hold my peace.

So I'm in.

Old John.

I hold my piece a lot too...

...but after decades of experience, I've learned it usually doesn't
change anything...

...so I figure I might as well have what fun I can get out of it.

I know you to be one of the better posters here. Replying to Arlen just
adds to the crap though. And there’s way too much of that. Pretty much why
I can’t be bothered to waste my time here any more as it is mostly Arlen
jerking himself in public. Starve the trolls by siege.

You cannot "starve" them.

Show me a case where it as EVER worked.

Me failing to pay much attention to this troll infested hellhole has worked
for me the past several months. I don’t think there has been a concerted
effort to ignore Arlen and badgolferman. They get plenty of replies. They
keep coming back.
Correlation is not causation.

 I’ve been close to cutting my cord to usenet. There are better ways to
spend time. Online venues where mutual respect exists and moderation when
that fails. Arlen and his ilk wouldn’t last a day engaging people the way
they do.
Agreed. But there are downsides to moderation inasmuch as most of them have too much power (see: Musk declaring "weird" too much while letting other posters use "ni__er".

 If you prefer a shitshow instead so be it.