Re: security exclave

Sujet : Re: security exclave
De : andrew (at) *nospam* spam.net (Andrew)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone comp.mobile.ipad
Date : 13. Sep 2024, 03:49:30
badgolferman wrote on Thu, 12 Sep 2024 15:09:28 -0000 (UTC) :

Sorry, it is an exclave, not an enclave.

Thanks for that post. As with most links provided in this ng, I read the
article with interest, where it essentially says microphone & camera
indicators are "routed" via hardware, not software.

It was in the M4 chip in the 2024 iPad Pro tablets too, so it's not new.
https://bgr.com/tech/iphone-16-got-a-big-privacy-upgrade-that-no-one-was-expecting/
But it's new to iPhones. Rambo spilled the beans, apparently, on June 3rd.
https://mastodon.social/@_inside/112552696723119626

In your article, there was a non-sensical (to me) curious sentence though.
 "It's unclear if the Security Exclave can do anything else,
  because Apple has kept pretty quiet about it. After all,
  you wouldn't want to advertise all your best new security features,
  because everything you reveal gives bad actors more information
  to try and bypass them. Which is not something we want happening."

Huh? That's ridiculous. There is no security in obscurity, especially for a
feature that has already been widely discussed on the Internet.

There's a reason Apple didn't mention it - but it's NOT that Apple was
hoping the bad guys wouldn't notice it that way. That makes no sense.