Re: Troubleshooting on an iPad.

Sujet : Re: Troubleshooting on an iPad.
De : watcombeman (at) *nospam* yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date : 20. Sep 2024, 10:46:07
On 20 Sep 2024 at 07:57:06 BST, "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

On 2024-09-20 06:32:47 +0000, Bernd Froehlich said:
On 19. Sep 2024 at 10:06:15 CEST, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

My son has has asked me:

My iPad is getting slower and slower to the extent that it’s making some
applications difficult to use. I could try shutting down or restarting
but my perception is this is a recurring issue. Is there any known
memory or process monitoring on the iPad to see if I have an app that
is misbehaving?

I know of none, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything. cAnd if
there is I assume it would apply equally to the iPd and iPhone.

Any suggestions? I have suggested a power down and restart, and he will try
that for starters.

Old John.

You could try if closing all running apps helps. (AFAIK a restart won´t do
that).

iPad OS SHOULD take care of memory by itself, but I have encountered some
situations where closing all apps helped.

The problem with devices is that most people don't close (and don't
know how or that they should) apps they aren't currently using, so they
can end up with lots of stuff still running. It doesn't matter whether
it's MacOS, Windows, iPadOS / iOS, Android, etc.

The same happens with things like web browser tabs. People just leave
them open whenever the browser opens a new one.

All these open things chew through RAM, and when that runs out the OS
can often swap them out to storage drive space, clogging that up as
well.

There should really be a system preference option set by default for
novice users that properly closes apps / tabs that haven't been used in
a while and arent doing anything (such as playing background music).
That alone could solve a lot of "it's slow" problems.

My thanks to you all. I have passed it all on, and Julian says he will go
through it systematically and let me know what happens.
He is fairly new to the iPad and iMac, having inherited Anne's. I have
recommended that he try the last suggestion first - I am reminded that Anne
was prone to this; she sometimes came to me complaining that she couldn't open
such and such a link in Safari. I would find that the poor app was chock full
of tabs (many of them duplicates) and could't open any more.
--
An infinitely complex system can fail in an infinite number of ways.