Re: Passcode security

Sujet : Re: Passcode security
De : bourne (at) *nospam* rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Groupes : misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date : 20. Sep 2024, 21:05:52
On 9/19/24 4:37 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2024-09-19 10:08, Colour Sergeant Bourne wrote:
With websites transitioning from passwords to passcodes for login security, I guess I'll need to start using them at some point.
 I believe you mean passkeys.

As best I understand it, passcodes require either face ID or fingerprint ID to verify. Which is more secure/less error-prone?

Also, how do you login from a desktop or laptop?
 First off not that many sites have gone that way.  Apple, Amazon, Google and some others have.  My bank hasn't added it yet.
https://www.passkeys.io/who-supports-passkeys <- list of supporting sites.
 To use it the device has to have some means of validating it is you: fingerprint, face ID.  The notion is to head towards devices that have some biological identification.
 More secure?  Yes, in the sense that someone trying to access your account on some site does not have physical possession of one of your devices that contains your passkey.  And even if they did they could not trivially access your passkey w/o passing the FaceID/Fingerprint ID.
 I have it set up and it works quite transparently.  There is a test site where you can set up a test account to try it out.
https://www.passkeys.io/
 As my newest iMac has a fingerprint reader it too uses passcodes for logins where available.
 Also of course, one you set up a passkey on one device, it is synchronized to all your other devices under the same AppleID.
 (I assume there is a similar mechanism for PC / Android, etc.).

Right, thanks!