Re: Beginner at running Inn2, looking for a peering connection for a private news server

Sujet : Re: Beginner at running Inn2, looking for a peering connection for a private news server
De : iulius (at) *nospam* nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Groupes : news.admin.peering
Date : 12. Jun 2024, 22:54:07
Hi Sirius,

Running Inn2 stems from my work where I want/need to keep up with a dozen
or so linux kernel mailing lists which so happens are available via NNTP
to read at nntp.lore.kernel.org. But reading them remote was very slow, so
as any self-respecting geek, the answer was naturally to spin up Inn2 and
mirror down the lists I wanted so I have them locally with a year worth of
articles for history.
Nice!

I would like to be able to get a backlog from the groups using nntpget and a
date, so that I have some light reading until they start to fill up
naturally.
I would recommend the use of pullnews, which is more configurable and probably more used than nntpget:
   https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/pullnews.html
Also, nntpget relies on the NEWNEWS command, which is not always enabled on upstream news servers.
--
Julien ÉLIE
« Un voyage de mille lieues commence toujours par un premier pas. » (Lao